- Uploaded my website using Google App Engine
- Followed GCP App Engine tutorial and website seems to work.
- Making my website SSL / HTTPS – having trouble with this.
Issues I came across:
- I currently have a website on carrd.co. However, I see a dangerous red `HTTP` at the address bar when doing this. My website accepts payments, and I don’t want to do this over a website that’s not secure.
- Solution: Hosting on GCP can solve this problem. I’m trying to use the App Engine now to do so.
- I got stuck on step 1: ‘Create a directory that has the same name as your project ID. You can find your project ID in the Console.’
- Solution: They were referring to creating a directory on my local
Macbook, not on the GCP project. After I create the directory with the corresponding .yaml files locally, then I’ll upload them to my Google App Engine.
- When I type in https://burningvpn.com, it doesn’t seem to work. I don’t get that green text of approval for the https to show that my website is secure. Stripe requires that the website goes through https
- Issue: Now when I go to burningvpn.com, sometimes it loads correctly, but other times it takes me godaddy.com (where I bought the domain name). It seems like my DNS records are not properly redirecting the domain URL to the right server?
- Resolved: I edited a few more of the DNS settings. Sorry, I forgot what I did. But it works now.
- I followed these directions: https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python/getting-started/hosting-a-static-website#before_you_begin
- Later, follow these instructions to make sure I can type in both www and not www. to make my address work: https://www.chriswiegman.com/2011/09/how-to-properly-redirect-your-domain-with-or-without-www/